Precise thickness even in holes
The SICANIP coatings are part of our composite electroless nickel coatings. They are formed in an electroless nickel plating bath containing silicium carbide (SiC) particles maintained in suspension by a constant stirring. SICANIP coatings are made of a tough nickel-phosorous (NiP) matrix in which fine silicium-carbide particle are incorporated. The addition of hard SiC particles (2500 HV) in the NiP matrix give an excellent wear and abrasion resistance to the coating.
|SICANIP NiP + SiC||Abrasion & wear resistance, hardness||1300 x 690 x 800 mm|
SICANIP Coating Properties
- Precise coating thickness (+/- 5% of coating thickness)
- No practical limitation in maximal coating thickness
- Usual thickness range between 10 and 100 µm.
- Conformal coating even in deep holes and very complex geometries
- High hardness after thermal annealing (1200 HV 0.1)
- Dense coating without porosities
- Excellent corrosion resistance
- Excellent resistance against non-oxidizing chemical
- Excellent resistance to wear and abrasion
Metallographic cross section of the SICANIP coatingLeft: 10µm | Right: 50µm
Advantages of SICANIP coatings
- It is possible to replace a ceramic or alloy steels part by carbon steels coated with SICANIP
- For complex and expensive machined parts undergoing an extreme abrasion, the SICANIP coating can be removed after its lifetime and the original part can be coated again with a new SICANIP coating.
- The SICANIP coating can also be removed if a modification of the original part is necessary
- The lifetime extension of the part gained with a SICANIP coating represent a diminution of the costs
- High incorporation of SiC particle in the nickel matrix
- Crack free coating thanks to the creation of chemical bonds during thermal annealing between SiC particles and NiP matrix
- The SiC particles are dispersed homogeneously in the coating all over the substrate. Therefore the coating is functional in all his thickness
- La précision de l’épaisseur des dépôts est inférieure à ± 5% ce qui évite tout usinage après traitement.
- Thanks to our knowhow acquired during the last 20 years the SICANIP coating are perfectly reproducible. These coatings are able to successfully pass our most sever quality tests.
Quality – REPRODUCibility – Large application field
- Plastic Injection moulds
- Overhead camshaft, clutch plate
- Blades and scaper in the paper industry
- Vibratory bowl feeder
- Textile industry parts
- Injection nozzles
Examples of applications
characteristic feature of SICANIP
- Good sliding properties of SICANIP against SICANIP. In a lubricated system, the sliding coefficient of SICANIP against SICANIP is around 0.08.
- A good tribological pairing is obtained between SICANIP/Hard Chromium and SICANIP/KANIGEN®
- In many cases SICANIP need a running-in time or a prepolishing before use.
- Nickel 91 – 93 % Weight
- Phosphore 7 – 9 % Weight
- SiC particles 25 – 30 % Volume
- Particles size Ø 1 – 3 microns
Hardness HV 0.1:
- Without heat treatment 620 à 650 HV
- With heat treatment 1000 à 1200 HV
Coefficient de frottement:
- 0,1 à 0,3 according to tribological pairing and the use of lubricant
- Usually between 10 to 50µm
- Slightly magnetic
Operating temperature range:
- Functional up to 350°C.