KANIGEN® is a process for the functional coating of ferrous and non-ferrous materials (Electroless Nickel).
The KANIGEN® process consists in electroless deposition without any external source of electricity. In this process the work piece is immersed into an aqueous process solution with a specific content of nickel ions. During the process these ions are reduced into metallic nickel. The chemical reacting agents and formulators of the electrons required in this process are the hypophosphite ions in the solution.
These agents are transformed, by oxidation in the course of the reaction, into orthophosphite. A nickel-phosphorus alloy layer forms on the work piece’s surface. This layer effectively protects the work piece against wear and corrosion.
KANIGEN® is ideal for the functional coating of metals and plastics. The properties of the Electroless Nickel layer range from chemical resistance, dimensional accuracy, excellent anti-friction behaviour, electrical conductivity to outstanding hardness. In addition, KANIGEN® ensures uniform layer formation true to the original contours. The layer is the ideal solution for the plating of even geometrically complex work pieces with sharp edges and impressions, accessible cavities or bores.
KANIGEN®'s wear and corrosion resistance depends on the layer's phosphorous content. This content can be increased or reduced depending on the electrolyte's composition and it can be varied under specific process conditions. Even the layer thickness affects the coating's resistance: layers with a thickness in the 2 to 10 μm range are resistant to mild corrosion loads, while those in the 5 to 10 μm range are resistant to mild wear loads. A moderate degree of resistance requires layers with a thickness in the 10 to 25 μm range, while severe and very severe loads require thickness values ranging from 25 to 50 μm and over 50 μm respectively.
Base MaterialsElectroless Nickel KANIGEN® can coat almost any metal and plastic.
- All low-alloy ferritic steels
- Cast iron-based materials
- Stainless steel
- Non-ferrous metals (copper, brass, ...)
- Aluminium alloys
- Titanium-based materials
- Sintered metal materials
Other metal and ceramic materials can also be coated after performing trials on samples.
ApplicationsThe great variety of properties offered by the Electroless Nickel coating KANIGEN® and the wide array of suitable materials make the coated work pieces perfect for use in the most diverse sectors.
- mechanical engineering
- fittings construction
- automotive industry
- office and data technology
- chemical industry
- printing machines
- railway engineering
- electrical engineering
- energy and reactor engineering
- aircraft industry
- household appliance industry
- hydraulic and pneumatic components industry
- communications technology
- food processing industry
- measuring and control technology
- pharmaceutical and medical device engineering
- textile machinery construction
- defense industry
|HP: 9-12% Phosphorus||Anticorrosion, magnetism||2000 x 790 x 1300 mm|
|MP: 5-8% Phosphorus||Anti corrosion, hardness, wear||1150 x 670 x 800 mm|
|BP: 2-5% Phosphorus||Hardness, wear, tenacity||1150 x 670 x 800 mm|
Overview of Process Variants
KANIGEN® HP – KANIGEN® MP – KANIGEN® LP
A corrosion resistant, non-magnetic, high phosphorus electroless nickel plating process.
The proven KANIGEN®-HP process variant for long-established customer series parts produces a corrosion-resistant and ductile layer with a phosphorus content ranging between 10 and 13 %.
Advantages of KANIGEN®-HP plating process:
- corrosion resistance in acid environments
- neutral salt spray resistance of 1000 hours
- semi-bright deposit that will pass the nitric acid test
- a pit free deposit up to 30 µm or more
- compressive stressed deposit
- non-magnetic properties
- phosphorous content 10-13 % by wt
- as plated 450-500 VHN 100
- heat treated 290°C 5 hrs 800-850 VHN 100
- salt spray (ASTM-B-117) 1000 + hrs
- magnetic properties non-magnetic
- abrasion: abrasion amounts ≤ 35mg after 1000 revolutions in the Taber-Abraser test using CS 10 wheels
A bright, medium phosphorus electroless nickel plating process with 6-9 % by wt phosphorous content.
- phosphorous content 6-9 % by wt
- as plated 550 VHN 100
- heat treated 290°C 5 hrs 850-900 VHN 100
- salt spray (ASTM-B-117) 100 hrs
- stress slightly tensite
- magnetic properties slightly magnetic
- bright deposit
A low phosphorus, high hardness, engineering electroless nickel plating process.
KANIGEN® LP system is a low phosphorous electroless nickel process designed to deposit a uniform and hard nickel-phosphorous alloy onto a great variety of metals, alloys and non conductors.
- high as plated hardness
- corrosion resistance in caustic environments
- lower electrical resistivity
- good solder ability
Typical deposit properties:
- phosphorous content 1-4 % by wt
- as plated 700 VHN 100
- heat treated 290°C 5 hrs 1000 VHN 100
- salt spray (ASTM-B-117) 80 hrs
- magnetic properties magnetic